Sunday, February 22, 2015

Problems with my machine or finicky machine?

Boy, while I have been trying to finish my last two quilts I have been so frustrated with my Avante 18.  I have been getting needle sensor errors.  It would be fine if it just said error and described it but what happens is that's when I stop for any reason, instead of positioning the needle in the down position, it keeps moving.  More than once I have actually let go of the handles and off it went!!! 

I went online and checked out the forums and the HQ website and found nothing except assurances that this most often was not a lasting problem."shut your machine off and it will most likely return to normal" ..well that's easy to say...they are not the ones picking out stitches!  Sure it worked but this meant for EVERY  stop I had to shut the machine off!!!  NOT!

I went through all the sensor checks multiple times.  Before cleaning the speed sensor was not showing 0 before I started it up but 100 .  I went to the back...it started at 0 then went to 100  and stayed there.  I went back to the front.  Still 100.  Put on micro quilting handles and then did the diagnostics check.  0-100 in no time flat. 

I phoned the dealer and she (on Sunday) gave me the best advice.  Clean everything that you can get to.  Change needles. Rethread. And if that isn't it it maybe that the sensor has developed a oily or dirty film over it....that would mean bundling up my baby and driving 200km to get a check up and cleaning!  I only got it in late May, less than a year!  

So, cleaned everything.  Took the top plate off and checked to make sure nothing was caught in behind the bobbin case holder. Changed needle.  Did diagnostics. Everything a-ok.  Tested the stop start....over and over and over.....perfect.  

Then went back to the quilt with the high loft poly batting......worked a little better but once again Needle Sensor Error..  

Do you think it just doesn't like cheap batting?  Or high loft batting.  I have quilted with two layers...cotton and wool and it's like butter...love it....  But this? Humph! 

No comments:

Post a Comment